Preparing to be on the road
You’re ready to hit the open road… but before you do, there are a few things you should prepare for. Most importantly, getting the right motor insurance.
Insurance is an essential part of owning a vehicle in Bermuda. It is required by law that every vehicle owner has a minimum of liability coverage for any vehicle to be used on the roads. In some instances, like when you have a bank loan for the vehicle, comprehensive coverage is a requirement.
A few things you need to know
- Motor policies are generally renewed annually
- Cycle policies usually expire at the end of a particular month, while private car policies expire on the primary owner’s birth date
- At each renewal date, the insurance premiums must be paid before a certificate, or proof of insurance, can be issued for the coming year
- This must be done before the vehicle can be licensed with the Transport Control Department (TCD)
So why BF&M?
To start, BF&M is the only local insurance company to offer online renewals. As well, once your policy has been renewed online, we automatically and electronically send the renewal information to TCD so you can licence the vehicle. Simply walk in with your vehicle pass slip, take a number, and your insurance certificate will be there waiting. It’s that easy!
We also make every effort to introduce cost-saving motor and cycle options for our customers – while still offering great coverage. Some options include:
- You can save up to 65% off of your private car policy with our No-Claims Discounts
- Comprehensive cycle policies can earn up to 20% off with our No-Claims Discounts
- Renew your cycle policy online and receive a $15 discount on your premium
- Renewing your private car policy online can save you $35
In 2010 we launched Loyalty Discounts to recognise our long standing clients that have been claims free for 10 plus years. If eligible, you can earn up to an additional 15% off your premiums. Further discounts are available if you choose to limit the number of drivers covered under your policy, or if you choose to increase your deductibles.
Roadside assistance: we’re with you 24/7
- Along with online renewals, BF&M is the only local insurance company to offer customers convenience and peace of mind through our 24/7 Roadside Assistance Programme.
- We know there is nothing worse than unexpected motor troubles, except perhaps the unexpected bill that can result.
- Without 24/7 Roadside Assistance, you could pay up to $150 for a tow service, flat tire assistance, battery jump or lock-out assistance.
- BF&M customers can add 24/7 Roadside Assistance to their car insurance for $75, or to their cycle insurance for $50, and be covered for two service calls per year.
- This means you pay half the price for double the service.
- Roadside Assistance coverage is also available to taxis!
Want to learn more? Contact our offices on +1 441 295 5566 for more information.