The BF&M Group is committed to protecting your privacy. Any Customer Data provided to us will be treated with the highest standards of security and confidentiality.
Collection of Customer Data
Customer Data means any information/personal data about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal data about you which we have grouped together as follows:
- Identity Data includes first name, maiden name, last name, username or similar identifier, marital status, title, date of birth and gender.
- Contact Data includes billing address, delivery address, email address and telephone numbers.
- Financial Data includes bank account and payment card details.
- Transaction Data includes details about payments to and from you and other details of products and services you have purchased from us.
- Technical Data includes internet protocol (IP) address, your login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, and other technology on the devices you use to access this website.
- Profile Data includes your username and password, purchases or orders made by you, your interests, preferences, feedback and application responses.
- Usage Data includes information about how you use our website, products and services.
- Marketing and Communications Data includes your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our third parties and your communication preferences.
We also collect, use and share Aggregated Data such as statistical or demographic data for any purpose. Aggregated Data could be derived from your personal data but is not considered personal data as this data will not directly or indirectly reveal your identity.
For the purposes of underwriting and administering our policies (including claims handling) we may also collect Sensitive Data about you (this includes details about your race or ethnicity, information about your health, and genetic and biometric data) and information about criminal convictions and offences.
Where we need to collect personal data by law, or under the terms of a contract we have with you, and you fail to provide that data when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have or are trying to enter into with you (for example, to provide you with insurance services). In this case, we may have to cancel a service you have with us but we will notify you if this is the case at the time.
How we collect your Customer Data
We use different methods to collect data from and about you including through:
- Direct interactions. You may give us your Identity, Contact, Financial, Profile and Sensitive Data by filling in forms or by corresponding with us by post, phone, email or otherwise. This includes personal data you provide when you:
- apply for our products or services;
- contact us in respect of your policies (including when you provide us with claims information);
- create an account on our website;
- subscribe to our service or publications;
- request marketing to be sent to you;
- enter a competition, promotion or survey; or
- give us feedback or contact us.
- Publicly available sources. We may receive personal data about you from various public sources.
Use of Personal Data
The BF&M Group uses your Customer Data for the provision and administration of insurance products and related services. Examples of the actual or possible uses of your Customer Data are:
To carry out our responsibilities resulting from any agreements you’ve entered into with us (e.g. to underwrite and administer your policy, including processing claims) and to provide you with the information, products and services that you’ve asked from us.
To provide you with marketing information about services and products we offer across the BF&M Group which may be of interest to you. Based on your marketing preferences, we may deliver this information by post, telephone, e-mail or personalised online marketing via social media platforms. We will not sell your data to third parties for them to market to you.
To tell you about changes to our services and products.
To comply with any applicable legal or regulatory requirements (including “know your customer” and sanctions checks, or to comply with any applicable regulatory reporting or disclosure requirements).
For carrying out market research, statistical analysis and customer profiling to help us to improve our processes, products and services and generate new business.
To define our actuarial, pricing and underwriting strategies.
To run our business in an efficient and proper way. This includes testing our systems, managing our financial position, business capability, planning, communications, corporate governance, and audit.
To trace debtors or beneficiaries, recover debt, prevent fraud and to manage your insurance policies with the BF&M Group
For any other purpose that we’ve agreed with you from time to time.
Providing services to you: We will process Customer Data to carry out our responsibilities resulting from any agreements you’ve entered into with us and to provide you with the information, products and services you’ve asked from us.
Complying with applicable laws: We may process Customer Data to comply with any legal or regulatory obligation that the BF&M Group is subject to.
- Market research and product development, which can include creating customer demographics and/or profiling. We may sometimes work with carefully selected third parties to do this, for example using advertising services provided by third party organisations.
- Manage risk for the BF&M Group and our customers.
- Study and also manage how our customers use products and services from us and our business partners.
Consent: We may provide you with marketing information about our services or products where you’ve provided your consent for us to do so. You may opt out of marketing at any time by e-mailing or telephoning your customer servicing team.
Sensitive data: We will process any medical & health, racial & ethnic origin, genetic & biometric or sex life & sexual orientation information you have provided, and any other sensitive information obtained from a third party (e.g. your GP or other medical professional), solely for the purposes of allowing us to underwrite and administer your policy and deal with claims.
Criminal Conviction Data: We will process this type of information solely for the purposes of allowing us to underwrite and administer your policy and deal with claims.
Disclosure of Customer Data
The BF&M Group considers your Customer Data to be private and confidential. The BF&M Group may sometimes disclose information about you to agents or service providers appointed by us, regulatory bodies and other companies within the BF&M Group in order to assist with the provision of services to you and/or due to regulatory requirements. The BF&M Group may access and/or disclose your Customer Data if required to do so by law or in the good faith and belief that such action is necessary to: (a) conform with the law or comply with legal process served on the BF&M Group; or (b) protect and defend the rights or property of the BF&M Group including, without limitation the security and integrity of our network. Additionally, your information, including sensitive data and criminal conviction data, may be disclosed to our reinsurers. In all cases whereby we disclose your data to third parties we will ensure they are subject to equivalent legal and/or regulatory requirements as the BF&M Group.
Retention of your data
We will hold on to your Customer Data in accordance with our internal record retention policy and for as long as necessary for the purposes of providing insurance products and related services to you and/or in line with legal and regulatory requirements.
Security of Customer Data
The BF&M Group is committed to protecting the security of your personal information. We use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect Customer Data from unauthorised access, alteration, use, disclosure, accidental loss or destruction. Although the BF&M Group utilises modern industry-strength security processes and technology, it is not possible to guarantee complete information security, nor can we guarantee that information you supply won’t be intercepted while being transmitted to us over the internet. The BF&M Group will continue to revise policies and implement additional security features as new technologies become available.
Most browsers automatically accept cookies. You have the ability to accept or decline cookies or request that you be warned when a website is trying to install a cookie. This can be done by modifying the settings in your browser. Please note that disabling cookies may affect the functionality of some parts of this website.
The BF&M Group does not warrant that any information, software or other material accessible through this site is free of viruses, worms, Trojan horses or other harmful component. The BF&M Group assumes no responsibility and shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages that result from the use, access to, browsing in or downloading of any information, data, text, images or other material accessible through one of its web pages, this site or the website of any linked third party.
The BF&M Group’s Privacy Officer is Stephanie Hanson. The Privacy Officer can be contacted via email at email@example.com.